Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Offspring

The Offspring is a punk rock band from Huntington Beach, California. They have achieved relative mainstream success and have released several albums. Unfortunately this recognition is completely un-warranted. I admit I like the song Come out and Play as well as a few other aspects of other songs such as funny or catchy lyrics but overall I'm not at all a fan of The Offspring. The Offspring is definitely one of those bands that is geared around culture or lyrics instead of instrumentals. The vocalists is very annoying which I'm pretty sure is intentional but I don't jive with his whiny, completely untrained voice. I don't remember ever hearing a single guitar chord from The Offspring other than an open-fifth power chord. I know there are a few exceptions but I'm believe there are literally entire songs of theirs with fewer than three types of chords. Nothing special about the bass or drums. For all I know this might be a kind of Blink-182 phenomenon in which some of the band members are much more trained than they show but I don't know. Then again, they have a lot more fans for me for the time being so they're doing something right.
Overall score: 4.2
Composition: 4.0
Performance: 3.3
Production: 6.0
Vox: 3.0
Lyrics: 6.5
Guitar: 4.2
Bass: 4.0
Drums: 5.0
Genres: Punk Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment